March 16, 2012

What a Day...

What a day...what a week...

It amazes me how sometimes the weeks can get so filled up with activities, events, meetings, work, etc. This week was one of those weeks, where it felt like Friday would never get here, and then when it did it was a crazy roller coaster ride that I wanted to get off of the moment it started.
With the sun making an appearance today, it seemed like the students at my school also decided to come out of hibernation and show their true colors.  I had kids fighting, cussing, throwing things, arguing, lying and stealing before school began to the bell ringing at the end of the day!  Needless to say, when the bell rang at the end of the day, and I had gotten the last of the kids out the door, I was ready for the weekend.

Some might wonder why someone would want to work with "those" kids or middle schoolers in general, but the truth is, they need adults in their life that care.  I love their energy, I love their excitement for life, and the passion they bring to the things that they love doing.  Sometimes it seems like they are trying to make you stop caring, but I love proving them wrong. 
Working with students and making an impact is why I went into teaching; and it is that passion that helps me get out of the bed in the morning.  The students at my school come from broken homes, many who come to school without having eaten breakfast, knowing that going into the weekend they won't have meals waiting for them at home.  Many of the kids family's are living on around $15,000 a year, with parents that didn't graduate from middle school. 

They are the success stories, even if that success doesn't show every day.

So for them I will not take my loving family, warm/safe home, home-cooked meals and sweet husband for granted.  If anything when I am at school I will create for them a place that they can know they are loved and cared for.  They may make it hard to like what they are doing, but their choices can't stop me from loving them.

1 comment:

Family of 5 said...

God has given you such a soft heart for those students...at school and at church in the youth group! Keep loving them, even when the times are tough! It's awesome to see how God has been working through your life!!