February 24, 2014

Crock Pot Lasagna

Lasagna is a favorite meal that many families enjoy, including my own. But, when I tried to make it at home, it just never measured up to the ones I had ordered from restaurants. The frozen lasagna's, while convenient, were always soupy and thin, with little to no leftovers since they don't fill you up. Not to mention the fact that the ingredients in the frozen lasagnas leave much to the imagination.  I had made lasagna in a pan before from scratch, but with all the steps and not ever having it turn out how I thought it would, I just didn't think that making my favorite Italian food at home was going to work for me.

Then I discovered making lasagna in my Crock Pot. So easy to make, and it is thick, tasty and there is always plenty for everyone to eat. Plus it is cheaper that buying a frozen one from the store!
Ingredients:
Crock Pot
Italian Sausage (1 lb.)
Spaghetti Sauce (one jar)
Italian Seasoning
Mozzarella Cheese (8-10 oz)
Ricotta Cheese (15 oz)
Lasagna Noodles (uncooked)
Average Cost = $11.00

Step 1: Cook the Italian Sausage, and drain any excess grease.  Add in the spaghetti sauce, and mix.

Step 2: Combine the mozzarella and ricotta cheeses in a separate bowl. Once mixed, add in the Italian seasoning.

Step 3: Now you are going to start layering into your Crock Pot. Start by lightly spraying the pot, and then add in and spread out the sauce and meat mixture. Next place in a layer of the noodles. Remember that they do NOT need to be cooked. On top of the noddles spread a layer of the cheeses. Continue to layer: sauce, noodles and then cheese until you reach the end.

Step 4: Make sure that your top layer of noodles are completely covered with the cheese and sauce so they cook all the way through.  Sprinkle some extra Mozzarella cheese of the top, and place the lid on the pot.

Step 5: Cook for 4 hours on HIGH or 6 hours on LOW (time may be different depending on your slow cooker, so make sure that you check as it is cooking) If it appears to be done, turn the hear down to 'keep warm,' until you are ready to eat.

Hope you and your family enjoy this meal as much as I know mine does!

1 comment:

SarahinSalem said...

Thanks for posting this! I'm excited to try it. :)