June 15, 2011

Last Day of School...of Claggett

5th/10th Period: English 7
Student's Notes to Me :)
These mean so much to me...
The reason why I teach...
Well, today was my last day of students at Claggett Creek...and my last full day there as a teacher.  It's amazing to think that this year went by so fast, and how much we were able to accomplish.  I know that my students learned a lot, but I also learned so much.  What a learning experience to come into a position at the beginning of November....to classes with no structure...no assignments...and then came me....someone who is a planner and likes to think of creative projects and assignments.  Needless to say, I think I was somewhat of a shock to my students at the beginning.
2nd/7th Period: Read 180

3rd/9th Period: English 7 (only half the class :)
Love spending time with this group :)

But we got used to each other, worked with each other, and by the end of the year it was hard to see them go.  I am so proud of all that they have accomplished and the strengths that they have been able to build upon.  As a teacher it would be easy to say you judge your success based on grades or test scores...which my students excelled :)...but for me how I judge my student's success on how they are doing compared to where they started, not just academically but personally.  Going on that criteria, this year was a landslide success. I am so proud of them, and know this year impacted their lives...which is why I love teaching in the first place.

Today is bittersweet though...as of now, I do not have a teaching job for the next school year, even though I am loved and appreciated my my administration and staff.  It makes it harder leaving for the summer knowing that once again my future is unknown.  I have learned so much, and have made some great friends in the teachers I had the privilege of working alongside.  We will see what the future brings...here are some pics of what we participated in after-school today :)

Claggett Creek Middle School: Mrs. Bernard 2010-2011 :)

No comments: